Deadline: 31 May 2013
Open to: young professionals aged 22-35 such as policy-makers, journalists, diplomats, Members of Parliament, entrepreneurs, civil society leaders and researchers from the Black Sea area, EU member states, the United States and Central Asia
Venue: 4-6 July 2013 in Athens, Greece
In its sixth year, the International Black Sea Symposium (IBSS) project builds on the success and positive impact of its previous five editions and brings together the next generation of stakeholders with an interest in the Black Sea area. The 6th International Black Sea Symposium on “Empowering Civil Society in the Black Sea region: a tool for Innovative Social Change” will be held in Athens, Greece, from 4 to 6 July 2013. The ICBSS will welcome young professionals and international experts, for an intensive course on Black Sea issues. The event’s working language will be English.
This year’s Symposium introduces a new dimension, the civil society, as a key element to economic growth, sustainable development and social change. In this context, this year’s Symposium will focus on the following specific topics:
- Mapping social innovation in the EU: Good EU practices on social innovation will be presented giving emphasis on sharing experiences and learning from each other. Participants will have the chance to learn the emerging trends, as well as, the existing funding initiatives and tools.
- Development of human capital and empowerment of civil society in the Black Sea Region: The empowerment of certain social groups (e.g. youth, women etc.) is crucial in the rapidly changing economic and political landscape of the wider Black Sea Region. This topic will examine ways of developing civil society’s role aiming at a healthy and sustainable development of the Black Sea countries.
- Challenges and opportunities for social innovation in the Black Sea: Experts will be called to share their experience on existing opportunities and key challenges related to social innovation practices. Reference will be made on Social Entrepreneurship, Enterprise and Economy and the way these terms can bring social transformation.
- The role of Black Sea NGO Regional Networks: Speakers will also highlight the role of NGOs and the development of regional networks as an opportunity for establishing a platform of dialogue and cooperation, aiming at working complementary and achieving positive results on the social and economic environment of the Black Sea region.
The Symposium participation fee is set at 150 € and will cover:
- tuition and reading materials
- accommodation in twin rooms in a hotel in Athens (two persons sharing one room)
- breakfast, one meal per day and coffee breaks
- one welcome reception and one farewell dinner
Please note: participants are expected to make their own arrangements for the following costs which are not included in the participation fee:
- international travel to and from Athens International Airport
- transfer from and to the airport – Hotel in Athens
- visa and health insurance cover for the entire duration of their trip/stay
- any personal expenses that may arise during their trip/stay
The target group are young professionals aged 22-35 such as policy-makers, journalists, diplomats, Members of Parliament, entrepreneurs, civil society leaders and researchers (post docs and PhD candidates)from the countries of the wider Black Sea area, EU member states, the United States and Central Asia. Proficiency in English is required. Preference is given to persons who have not participated in previous International Black Sea Symposia.
The deadline for applications is 31 May 2013. To apply please submit in Word format the application form AVAILABLE HERE duly completed and a two-page CV in English. Please do not include or send photos.
Submit your application to: International Centre for Black Sea Studies (ICBSS) at email@example.com or Fax: +30 210 324 2244.
Late applications will only be considered if places remain unfilled. Participation is limited to 20 people. All applicants will receive an acknowledgement of receipt of their application within 5 working days. Only thoseapplicants selected will be informed through confirmation email by 10 June 2013. The applicable fees and payment details will be confirmed to participants upon acceptance to the Symposium.
Should you have any queries, do not to hesitate to contact the organizers by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by fax at +30 210 324 2244.